Monday, February 15, 2010

Bioshock 2 Impressions

I've been putting a good many hours into Bioshock 2 the past week, and I think I'm ready to at least lay down some form of mess of disjointed thoughts on the game.

-The Steam-o -meter is putting me at six and a half hours in, and I have yet to reach any location from the original Bioshock. Not even sure if there are any levels from the original, but it makes me feel like I'm exploring a completely different city, and I don't really like it.

-Big Sister encounters are pretty cool, and their impending arrival is introduced in a really menacing way. It's a reasonably tough opponent, and really feels like you need to put all skills to full use to take it down.

-I feel the same way about putting the Little Sisters to greater use. After a particularity tough first impression with this mechanic, I was about ready to give up on the game, and I'm not even kidding you. However, that stupid section aside, these parts really allow you to make use of your trap plasmids that were rather useless in the first game

-For all that BS2 does differently, it still feels very much like a carbon copy of the first. Playing as a Big Daddy doesn't feel too different from Bioshock's protaginist, and outside of the game forcing you to perform traits specific to a Big Daddy's routine, it'd be hard to tell the difference.

-Probably the most lasting impression I will take from this game is that it still sticks to the same corridor shooter design of the first. It's solid, but take away the (still awesome and eerie) audio diaries, and your left with some solid shooting mechanics and some fairly standard baddies on who you are to apply the aforementioned shooting mechanics.

I'm still a ways off from the finish of the game, so there may still be a few surprised I haven't unearthed. Full review to follow shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment